Merrillville, Indiana – Car Accident Lawyer - Car Accident Attorney – Serious Injury – Death Cases
Car Accidents in the Town of Merrillville, Indiana:
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the car accident rate in the Town of Merrillville, Indiana is higher than the national average. In 2020, there were 1,125 car accidents in Merrillville, resulting in 12 fatalities and 1,200 injuries. This is compared to the national average of 800 car accidents per 100,000 people, resulting in 10 fatalities and 1,000 injuries.
There are a number of factors that contribute to the high car accident rate in the Town of Merrillville. One factor is the town’s location on the border of Indiana and Illinois. This means that there is a lot of traffic coming and going from the town, which increases the risk of accidents. Another factor is the town’s layout. Merrillville is a relatively spread-out town, with a lot of major roads and intersections. This can make it difficult for drivers to navigate, which can lead to accidents. The high car accident rate in the Town of Merrillville is a serious problem.
Common Injuries in Merrillville car accidents:
The severity of injuries sustained in a car accident can vary depending on the speed of the impact, the type of collision, and whether or not safety features such as seatbelts and airbags were used. Some of the most common injuries sustained in car accidents include:
- Head injuries: Head injuries are among the most serious and can result in long-term or even fatal consequences. They can be caused by a direct blow to the head, whiplash, or being thrown from the vehicle.
- Neck injuries: Neck injuries, also known as whiplash, are caused by the sudden back-and-forth motion of the head and neck during a collision. This can result in pain, stiffness, and difficulty moving the neck.
- Back injuries: Back injuries can range from mild to severe and can include muscle strains, ligament tears, and spinal cord injuries.
- Chest injuries: Chest injuries can include broken ribs, collapsed lungs, and heart injuries.
- Abdomen injuries: Abdomen injuries can include internal bleeding, organ damage, and stomach ruptures.
- Arm and leg injuries: Arm and leg injuries can range from bruises and sprains to broken bones and amputations.
- Fatal injuries: In some cases, car accidents can result in fatalities. The most common cause of death in car accidents is head injuries.
If you have been injured in a car accident, it is always important to get medical care and attention as soon as possible. Even if you do not feel injured, you may have sustained internal injuries that are not immediately apparent to you, but may be found by an EMT, nurse or doctor. It is also important to contact the Gladish Law Group to discuss your legal options. You are be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages, if you were not at fault for the collision and have sustained injuries and damages.
What information do I need to make a claim for a Merrillville car accident:
If you have been injured in a car accident in the Town of Merrillville, Indiana, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. To make a recovery, you will need to gather the following information:
- The names and contact information of the other drivers involved in the accident
- The names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident
- The police report from the accident
- Medical records documenting your injuries
- Proof of lost wages
- Any other documentation that supports your claim
Once you have gathered this information, you can contact the Gladish Law Group to discuss your legal options. An attorney can help you file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company and negotiate a settlement. If your case goes to trial, an attorney can represent you in court. By following these tips, you can increase your chances of making a full recovery after a car accident.
It’s also important to remember that you have a limited amount of time to file a personal injury lawsuit in Indiana. The statute of limitations for car accidents is 2 years from the date of the accident. If you miss the deadline, you may be barred from ever recovering compensation for your injuries. If you have been injured in a car accident, don’t wait to contact an experienced personal injury attorney like the Gladish Law Group. The sooner you get help, the sooner you can get the compensation you deserve.
Value of my car accident case and damages recoverable in a Merrillville car accident case:
The damages recoverable in a car accident in the Town of Merrillville, Indiana are generally governed by Indiana state law. In Indiana, car accident victims may be entitled to recover various types of damages, including:
- Economic Damages: These are the tangible, quantifiable losses that have a direct financial impact, such as:
- Medical Expenses: Compensation for past and future medical bills, including hospitalization, surgeries, medication, rehabilitation, and other necessary treatments related to the accident.
- Property Damage: Reimbursement for the repair or replacement of your vehicle and any other damaged property.
- Lost Wages: Compensation for the income you lost due to the accident, including wages, salary, and other employment benefits.
- Future Earnings: If the accident results in long-term or permanent disability that affects your ability to earn a living, you may be eligible to claim damages for the loss of future earning capacity.
- Non-Economic Damages: These damages are more subjective and aim to compensate for intangible losses, such as:
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation for physical pain, emotional distress, and mental anguish caused by the accident.
- Emotional Distress: Compensation for psychological trauma, anxiety, depression, or other emotional disturbances resulting from the accident.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life: Compensation for the inability to engage in activities or enjoy life as you did before the accident.
- Loss of Consortium: If the accident affects your relationship with your spouse or family members, they may be eligible to claim damages for the loss of companionship, support, or services.
It’s important to gather and document evidence related to your accident, injuries, and losses to support your claim for damages. Consulting with a personal injury attorney like the Gladish Law Group will provide you with specific guidance and legal advice based on the circumstances of your case.
It’s worth noting that Indiana follows the comparative fault system, which means that if you are partially at fault for the accident, your total recoverable damages may be reduced by the percentage of your fault. To fully understand the specific damages recoverable in your case and how Indiana’s laws apply, it’s crucial to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney like the Gladish Law Group who can provide tailored advice based on the facts and circumstances of your situation.
How to Prevent Car Accidents in the Town of Merrillville, Indiana:
There are a number of things that can be done to prevent car accidents in Merrillville, Indiana. Some of the most important things include:
- Obeying the speed limit;
- Not driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
- Avoiding distractions while driving;
- Being aware of your surroundings;
- Signaling your intentions before changing lanes or making turns; and
- Driving defensively.
By taking these precautions, you can help to reduce the risk of being involved in a car accident.
How a Merrillville Car Accident Attorney Can Help with Your Car Accident Injury Claim:
If you, or a loved one, has suffered an injury or death due to the negligence of a driver, it is important that you seek the advice of a qualified lawyer who understands the law and possesses the skill to ensure that you get justice you deserve for your loss. Do not waste your one and only opportunity to receive just compensation for your injury case by hiring the wrong lawyer. Get a lawyer that is experienced, highly rated and certified to represent you and/or your family. Get Gladish.