East Chicago, Indiana – Car Accident Lawyer - Car Accident Attorney – Serious Injury – Death Cases
Car Accidents in East Chicago, Indiana:
With a population of over 30,000 residents, car accidents are a problem in the City of East Chicago. In 2022, there were over 1,000 car accidents in East Chicago, resulting in over 200 injuries and 10 deaths. In 2021, there were 1,142
car accidents reported in East Chicago, resulting in 12 fatalities and 232 injuries. This is a significant number of accidents, and it is clear that car accidents are a major safety concern in the City of East Chicago. There are a number of factors that contribute to the high number of car accidents in East Chicago. One factor is the city’s location. East Chicago is located on the shores of Lake Michigan, and it is a major transportation hub. The city is home to a number of major highways, including I-90, I-65, and I-80/94. This heavy traffic contributes to the high number of accidents. East Chicago is also located on the border of Indiana and Illinois which means that there is a lot of traffic in and out of the city, which increases the risk of accidents.
The causes of car accidents in East Chicago are varied. Some of the most common causes include:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of car accidents in East Chicago. Distracted driving occurs when a driver takes their attention away from the road to do something else, such as talking on the phone, texting, eating, or adjusting the radio. When a driver is distracted, they are not able to react quickly to changes in the road conditions, which can lead to an accident.
- Speeding: Speeding is another leading cause of car accidents in East Chicago. When drivers exceed the speed limit, they have less time to react to changes in the road conditions and are more likely to lose control of their vehicle. Speeding is also a factor in many fatal accidents.
- Drunk driving: Drunk driving is a serious problem in East Chicago and throughout the United States. Alcohol impairs a driver’s judgment and reaction time, making it much more likely that they will be involved in an accident. Drunk driving is a factor in about one-third of all fatal accidents in the United States.
- Driving under the influence of drugs: Driving under the influence of drugs is another serious problem in East Chicago. Drugs can impair a driver’s judgment and reaction time in much the same way that alcohol does. Driving under the influence of drugs is a factor in about 10% of all fatal accidents in the United States.
- Reckless driving: Reckless driving is any type of driving that is dangerous or careless. This can include driving too fast, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or driving while distracted. Reckless driving is a factor in about 15% of all fatal accidents in the United States.
- Poor road conditions: Poor road conditions can also contribute to car accidents. This can include potholes, uneven pavement, and debris in the road. Poor road conditions can make it difficult for drivers to control their vehicles and can increase the risk of accidents.
- Bad weather: Bad weather, such as rain, snow, and fog, can also contribute to car accidents. Bad weather can reduce visibility and make it difficult for drivers to control their vehicles. This can increase the risk of accidents.
These are just some of the causes of car accidents in East Chicago. By taking steps to avoid these factors, you can help to reduce your risk of being involved in a car accident.
Types of injuries that are sustained in car accidents:
Drivers can sustain a range of injuries in car accidents, varying in severity based on factors such as the speed of the vehicles involved, the angle of impact, and the use of safety restraints. Common injuries include:
- Whiplash: This is a neck injury caused by sudden back-and-forth movement of the head, commonly experienced in rear-end collisions. Symptoms may include neck pain, stiffness, headaches, and limited range of motion.
- Fractures and broken bones: High-impact collisions can lead to fractures in various parts of the body, such as the arms, legs, ribs, and pelvis. These injuries often require medical intervention, including immobilization and sometimes surgical repair.
- Head injuries: Drivers can suffer head injuries due to the impact with the steering wheel, windshield, or side window. These injuries can range from minor concussions to traumatic brain injuries, which may result in long-term cognitive and neurological impairments.
- Chest and abdominal injuries: The force of a collision can cause chest trauma, resulting in injuries like fractured ribs, collapsed lungs, or damage to internal organs. These injuries can be life-threatening and require immediate medical attention.
- Spinal injuries: Severe accidents can lead to spinal cord damage, potentially resulting in paralysis or long-term disability. Injuries to the vertebrae can cause conditions such as herniated discs or spinal fractures.
- Soft tissue injuries: Muscles, ligaments, and tendons can be strained, sprained, or torn during a car accident. These soft tissue injuries can cause pain, swelling, and restricted movement.
- Psychological trauma: Car accidents can have a significant psychological impact on drivers, leading to conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, or depression. Emotional distress is a common consequence, especially in severe accidents.
Prompt medical attention is essential following a car accident, even if injuries are not immediately apparent. Proper diagnosis and treatment are crucial for a full recovery, and individuals should consult with healthcare professionals to assess and address their specific injuries.
Monetary Damages/Value of your car accident case:
The value and types of damages available for injuries sustained in an East Chicago car accident can vary depending on the severity of the injuries and the circumstances of the accident. However, some common types of damages that may be available include:
- Economic damages: Economic damages are intended to compensate you for your financial losses, such as medical expenses, lost wages, and property damage.
- Non-economic damages: Non-economic damages are intended to compensate you for your pain and suffering, as well as any other losses that are not easily quantifiable, such as emotional distress and loss of quality of life.
The value of your damages will depend on a number of factors, including the severity of your injuries, the length of your recovery, and the impact of your injuries on your life. In some cases, you may also be able to recover punitive damages, which are intended to punish the at-fault driver for their reckless or intentional behavior.
If you have been injured in a car accident, it is important to speak with the Gladish Law Group as soon as possible. Our attorneys will help you understand your legal rights and options, and they will fight to get you the money you deserve.
Here are some additional details about the types of damages that may be available in an East Chicago car accident:
- Economic damages: Economic damages are typically easier to calculate than non-economic damages. They can include the following:
- Medical expenses: This includes the cost of all medical treatment you have received or will need in the future, such as hospital bills, doctor’s visits, and prescription medications.
- Lost wages: This includes the income you have lost due to your injuries. If you have been unable to work, you may be able to recover your lost wages for a period of time, depending on the severity of your injuries.
- Property damage: This includes the cost of repairing or replacing any property that was damaged in the accident, such as your car or your belongings.
- Non-economic damages: Non-economic damages are more difficult to calculate than economic damages. They can include the following:
- Pain and suffering: This includes the physical pain and emotional distress you have experienced as a result of your injuries.
- Loss of quality of life: This includes the impact your injuries have had on your ability to enjoy life, such as your ability to participate in activities you used to enjoy, your ability to work, and your ability to care for yourself and your family.
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages are awarded in rare cases where the at-fault driver’s actions were particularly reckless or intentional. They are intended to punish the driver and deter others from engaging in similar behavior.
It is also important to note that the amount of car insurance available to compensate plaintiffs does vary from defendant to defendant which is why you need an experienced attorney like the Gladish Law Group to ensure that all avenues of recovery for your injuries and damages are explored to ensure you get the compensation you deserve, since some defendants may have no insurance or very low limits.
How to Prevent Car Accidents in the City of East Chicago, Indiana:
Here are some tips on how to prevent car accidents in the City of East Chicago, Indiana:
- Obey the speed limit. Speeding is one of the leading causes of car accidents. By obeying the speed limit, you can help to reduce your risk of being involved in an accident.
- Don’t drink and drive. Alcohol impairs your ability to drive safely. If you are going to drink, make sure to have a designated driver or call a cab.
- Wear your seatbelt. Seatbelts save lives. Always wear your seatbelt, even if you are just driving a short distance.
- Don’t text and drive. Texting while driving is a major distraction. If you need to use your phone, pull over to a safe location.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Pay attention to what is happening on the road around you. Be on the lookout for potential hazards, such as pedestrians, cyclists, and other vehicles.
- Drive defensively. Assume that other drivers are not paying attention and that they may make mistakes. Be prepared to take action to avoid an accident.
By following these tips, you can help to reduce your risk of being involved in a car accident in East Chicago, Indiana.
Here are some additional tips that may be helpful in preventing car accidents in the City of East Chicago, Indiana:
- Get regular maintenance on your car. Make sure your car is in good working order by getting regular oil changes, tire rotations, and brake inspections.
- Check the weather forecast before you drive. If there is bad weather in the forecast, be prepared to drive more slowly and carefully.
- Be aware of construction zones. Slow down and be extra cautious when driving through construction zones.
- Don’t drive tired. Fatigue can impair your driving ability. If you are tired, pull over and take a nap.
- Be patient. Don’t get angry or frustrated with other drivers. Road rage can lead to accidents.
By following these tips, you can help to keep yourself and others safe on the roads in City of East Chicago, Indiana.
How an East Chicago Car Accident Attorney Can Help with Your Truck Accident Injury Claim:
If you, or a loved one, has suffered an injury or death due to the negligence of a car driver, it is important that you seek the advice of a qualified lawyer who understands the law and possesses the skill to ensure that you get justice you deserve for your loss. Do not waste your one and only opportunity to receive just compensation for your injury case by hiring the wrong lawyer. Get a lawyer that is experienced, highly rated and certified to represent you and/or your family. Get Gladish.